Popular      Latest      Top      Comment      Front Page      Video  Jobs 
by Chris Workman for The News Portal at 11:22am on 4th of November 2010

The latest argument involving England in the 2018 World Cup voting process has resulted in their bid being “significantly harmed”, according to new reports.

It follows newspaper investigations by the British media into possible corruption surrounding two of the members of FIFA. A spokesperson originally said that there would be no consequences, but it seems now that the opposite could be true.

The England team was already struggling after last week’s squabble with Russia over remarks made by one of their representatives, who supposedly criticised the English bid.

That did no favours to the cause, but these more recent revelations appear to be far more damaging, and with the actual vote taking place in less than a month, on 2 December, England has a lot of work to do to have any hope of being chosen to host the tournament.

 Latest Story Updates

 Displaying 0 to 7 out of 49 articles
David Cameron to spearhead damage-limitation exercise on behalf of England's World Cup bid after Panorama documentary. ...
FIFA members accused
Mirror - 7:40pm Monday 29th of November 2010
BBC Panorama have accused three FIFA executive committee members of taking bribes in a programme which England's 2018 World Cup bid leaders fear could further harm their chances of winning the tournam ...
England in a fighting mood
Mirror - 6:40pm Monday 29th of November 2010
England's 2018 World Cup bid chief Andy Anson promised to "fight like crazy" to secure the required number of votes to get England over the line in Thursday's ballot. ...
Three top Fifa men 'took bribes'
BBC - 6:08pm Monday 29th of November 2010
Three senior Fifa officials who will vote on the 2018 and 2022 World Cup bids took bribes in the 1990s, the BBC's Panorama alleges. ...
Beckham confident over England 2018 bid
ITN - 2:31pm Monday 29th of November 2010
David Beckham has given the thumbs-up to England's chances of staging the 2018 World Cup. ...
Becks' thumbs up for World Cup bid
The Sun - 2:02pm Monday 29th of November 2010
DAVID Beckham likes England's chances for 2018 as he visits the Olympic Stadium ...
Beckham confident of bid success
BBC - 1:47pm Monday 29th of November 2010
Former Manchester United star David Beckham says he is confident of England's chances of staging the 2018 World Cup ahead of the 2 December vote. ...
Uploaded on May 14 2010  May 14, 2010 - Zurich, SCHWEIZ - epa02156622 The bid team for England 2018 with Andy Anson, Cheif executive of the English bid team, (L-R) Geoff Thompson OBE, FIFA vice president, David Triesman, Chairman, Joseph S. Blatter, FIFA president, David Beckham, vice president to the bid team England, and an unidentified women, during the hand over ceremony of the bid England 2018 for the soccer World Cup 2018, in Zurich, Switzerland, 14 May 2010.

 Top Stories

 TheNewsPortal Comment

 Popular Stories

 Latest Story Updates

The News Portal

 Our Sponsors